2019.03 – current
Systems Architect at Humblebee (Göteborg)
2018.03 – 2019.03
Technical Designer at Humblebee (Göteborg)
- At Humblebee I have a role that touches on the middle ground between tech and design, which means I work both with architectural concerns as well as how we practically move from idea to product or service.
- The biggest overall thing I am tasked with is making sure Humblebee can deliver with super high quality in very little time. Therefore the gamut of assignments I work on ranges from partaking in creating entirely new digital services to making internal tools. I’ve helped create a wide set of custom tools for our digital projects, including supervising the development of our own headless CMS, coding a zero-handoff design-to-code pipeline (Figmagic), setting up our boilerplate front- and backends (centered on React and Styled Components for the frontend, and Serverless for the backend) as well as create multiple small internal applications and tech demos.
- I also contribute to our groups for business (strategy) and practical business offering, as well as do the occasional performance/security audit for clients. Clients I’ve worked with include Polestar, Volvo Trucks, Hultafors Group, Essve, Semcon, and Vinn. https://www.essguide.se
2016.10 – 2018.03
Frontend Developer at Sogeti (Göteborg)
- Full-time developer in a consultant role, working mainly out of Göteborg but also at other Sogeti offices across Sweden.
- My second assignment was at Essity (formerly SCA) in a complex role where I dealt mainly in ensuring the quality of user interface work done on the Tena brand sites. Over time the scope increased to most of the brand sites. In my role, I also worked closely with the front-end platform architect, developing better tooling and working methodologies to increase code quality and overall efficiency. All in all, the work would span UX design, some architecture and tooling, and UI development.
- My first assignment was as Frontend Lead on SUEZ's Swedish site where I laid the architecture for a modern Sass and BEM-based core, with React as a view layer for some of the more advanced functionality. For the project I was also responsible for bringing the rest of the team up to speed on the latest front-end work practices through a series of workshops.
2015.03 – 2016.06
Designer and Co-founder of Being (Göteborg)
- Being is a strategic design collaboration I started together with Niklas Persson.
- All our projects try to forge a symbiosis between highly aesthetic visuals and strategically correct, well-functioning deliveries.
- At Being I've acted as co-founder and designer with a cross-medial approach that emphasises interactivity and spatial experience. I specialized in the interactive and digital production—including doing code for web and creating technical tools for our in-house usage—but have also done art direction, workshops and lectures, photography, print design and a range of other tasks for our projects.
- Clients include the University of Gothenburg, Essent, Märta-Måås Fjetterström, Valand Academy and Nordiska Kafferosteriet.
2013.08 – 2015.06
Teacher in art, design, theory, photography, digital subjects at LBS Kreativa Gymnasiet (Borås)
- Full-time teaching for the programs in Game Development, Game Design, and Aesthetics-Media (Tekniska Programmet and Estetiska Programmet). I taught courses in visual theory, art, art theory, photography, web/graphic design and digital media creation. Beyond teaching, I was also class mentor for the third year class in the Media program as well as supervisor for their final project work.
- I was also involved in creating a classroom using a new type of atelier-like classroom environment, based on my experience from art school and based on research conducted by others in learning and pedagogy relevant to this educational context.
2013.09 – 2013.11
Conference coordinator at Valand Academy (Göteborg)
- Conference coordinator for Göteborg International Biennial for Contemporary Art's “Play! Recapturing the Radical Imagination”, hosted by Valand Academy (University of Gothenburg).
- For this job I handled a large number of tasks, including interfacing relations between regular staff at Valand Academy and guests at the conference, interfacing with Valand's communications officer for coordination of marketing and information, arranging for travel and recommendations on arrangements, creating marketing materials, leading a student group, and collecting materials for the conference reader.
2009.09 – 2011.01
Teaching assistent/amanuens at Blekinge Tekniska Högskola (Karlskrona)
- Part-time teaching assistant and also contracted for handling a project concerning the creation of web materials for the Digital Culture and Communication program.
2009.07 – 2015.03
Artist/designer and Co-founder of Propaganda Bureau (Karlskrona/Göteborg)
- The business that I started with an old friend and colleague – Thom Kiraly. Propaganda Bureau was involved in, among others projects, the creation of several apps and digital games, the production of web content for the Karlskrona world heritage, various technical consultations, the recipient of project grants and the output engine for numerous artistic works.
Lectures & Talks
Buying Design Services as Artist
Akademin Valand, Göteborg
Two full-day workshops on component-based design, frontend performance, Gulp
and ES2015+ programming
Speculative Interfaces and (Non)-Being
University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz
Projektplanering för konstnärer
Akademin Valand, Göteborg
Artist presentation and
Det tråkiga spelet
Varbergs konsthall, Varberg
Allas krig mot allt och alla - spelaren som nomad
Det tråkiga spelet
Det tråkiga spelet
Level Up 2012, Malmö
Det tråkiga spelet
Karlskrona Stadsbibliotek, Karlskrona
Det tråkiga spelet
Events & exhibitions
- Free! Music. Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin (2017.04.08 – 2017.04.09)
- GIBCA Extended. Göteborg International Biennial for Contemporary Art, Göteborg.
- Playpublik Festival for Playful Public Spaces. Krakow, Poland (2014.10.04)
- w00t Copenhagen Play Festival. Copenhagen, Denmark (2014.06.01)
- GIBCA Extended. Göteborg International Biennial for Contemporary Art, Göteborg (2013.09.07 – 2013.11.17)
- 24 Spaces – A Cacophony. Malmö Konsthall, Malmö (2013.06.17 – 2013.07.08)
- Frames and Stages. Göteborgs Konsthall, Göteborg (2013.05.11 – 2013.05.26)
- Pose & Dispose. Galleri Rotor, Göteborg (2013.04.19 - 2013.04.28)
- Dislocation. Galleri Rotor 2, Göteborg (2013.01.25 - 2013.01.27)
- Hjärta Spel. Datamuseet IT-ceum, Linköping. Went on to further exhibitions in Stockholm, Luleå, Varberg, Trollhättan and Uddevalla during 2013–2014.
- Konsthögskolan Valands vårutställning. Konsthögskolan Valand, Göteborg (2012.05.11 – 2012.05.26)
- Field Office: Exhibition by First Year Masters Students from Valand. Repositioned Gallery, Glasgow, Scotland (2012.04.24 – 2012.05.07)
- It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Blows Their Brains Out. Galleri Rotor 2, Göteborg (2012.01.17 - 2012.01.21)
- 57° 38´ 10” N 11° 46´ 40”: A Site-Oriented Project by Valand's MFA. Brännö, Göteborg (2011.12.03 – 2011.12.04)
2011 – 2013
Konstnärligt masterprogram i fri konst
Master in Fine Arts
Valand Academy, Göteborgs Universitet. Göteborg.
- Pose & Dispose (solo exhibition)
- Frames and Stages (group exhibition)
- Man, the Object-Mythologicist: Literal and Spatial Objects (Master thesis, 67 pages)
- Studio arts education. Both national and international exhibitions within the education, including in Glasgow, Scotland during the Glasgow International Art Biennial (2012).
- Beyond the substantial courses Individual Practice and Exam Work, I studied courses in Art and Culture Theory and Art and Architecture. During my studies at Valand Academy, national and international guests came to do lectures, studio visits, critiques, evaluations as well as for workshops, in among other things, art marketing.
- For the MFA exhibitions, our class worked extensively in creating marketing materials, companion websites and other materials.
2005 – 2008
Literature, Culture and Digital Media
Bachelor of Arts
Blekinge Tekniska Högskola. Karlskrona.
- Cutting the Master's Strings: Identity and Drama in the Simulated Spaces of Games (Bachelor thesis, 32 pages)
- BA education that combined traditional humanities studies with a specialization in how to understand and communicate through digital media. The program aimed at producing strong communicators with special competencies within digital media and digital forms of expression.
- Using Service Design for Innovation. ADA Sweden, Gothenburg.
- Context-sensitive Work in the Public Sphere. Valand Academy, Göteborgs Universitet.
- What Now? Performance Studies and Pedagogical Actions as Contemporary Art. Högskolan för Design och Konsthantverk, Göteborgs Universitet.
- Sound Design for Interaction. Högskolan Kristianstad.
- Innovative Interfaces. Blekinge Tekniska Högskola.
- Concept Art. Högskolan på Gotland.
- Serious Games and Human Rights. Högskolan på Gotland.
- Interaction, Design and Usability I. Högskolan i Skövde.
- Pedagogy for Higher Education. Blekinge Tekniska Högskola. ("Doktorandstege" finished)
- Japanese I. Högskolan Dalarna.
Press & Media
- Mathias Jansson: Dataspel och konst i Norden från 1995 till idag. Tidningen Kulturen (2013.10.28)
- Mikael Olofsson: Frames and stages. Göteborgs-Posten (2013.05.22)
- Jimmy Håkansson: It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Blows Their Brains Out. Tidningen Level, s. 23–24 (March issue)
- Jimmy Håkansson: Provocerande datorspel provocerar datorspelare. Blog 'em up (2012.02.22)
- Tove Bengtsson: Konst inspireras av spelvärlden. Svenska Dagbladet (2012.02.03; referred to as Propaganda Bureau)
- Jimmy Håkansson: Konstnärliga spel provocerar. Göteborgs-Posten, s. 86 (2012.01.29)
- Mathias Jansson: Links: Game Art around the web. GameScenes (2012.01.20)
- Mathias Jansson: It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Blows Their Brains Out. Art21 (2012.01.18)
Commissions and Grants
- Eric Ericsons Stiftelse, Göteborg.
Grant: 100 000 SEK.
Otto och Charlotte Mannheimers Fond, Göteborg.
Project support: 3 000 SEK.
- Oh Glory. Backa Teater in collaboration with Dataspelsakademin, for the theater play 5boys.com by Simona Semenic.
- Öppna Sinnet, Karlskrona.
Project support: 25 000 SEK.
Sunday 26th. Göteborgs Universitet / self-published.
Exhibition catalogue for Frames and Stages, MFA degree exhibition
Hjärta Spel. Reset Media.
Exhibition catalogue for Hjärta Spel